At a Glance (FY 11-12)
- 13.4 million: Books and other materials checked out – a 4% increase in circulation per open hour
- 6.6 million: Visits to the branches – a 2% increase in visits per open hour
- 2.8 million: Number of items in the collection – almost 20 times the number of slot machines in Las Vegas
- 1.5 million: Computer use
- 15,352: Library-sponsored and community programs
- 579,439: Children and adult program attendance
- 45,270: Volunteer hours - a 23% increase over last year
- City of Las Vegas and most of Clark County except for North Las Vegas, Boulder City and Henderson.
- Serves 1.5 million people over 8,000 square miles—larger than the state of Connecticut.
Governance and Funding
- Is an independent government agency and is not part of Las Vegas city government or the Clark County government.
- Operations are overseen by a ten-member Board of Trustees, five appointed by the Clark County Commission and five appointed by the Las Vegas City Council.
- The Board appoints the Library’s Executive Director and has the authority to make policies and approve the budget for the programs, activities and services the branches provide.
- Regular Board of Trustees meetings are held the second Thursday of each month and are open to the public.
- Funding is primarily from property taxes and consolidated sales tax.
- 392 full-time and 380 part-time staff.
- Staff includes 91 professional librarians with MLIS degrees (Master of Library and Information Science).
- Remaining staff are professionals and support staff in Administration, Public Services, Marketing, the Business Office, Development, Human Resources, General Services and Information Technology.
- The West Charleston Library includes a Health Science Library that provides consumer health information for the public.
- Includes 14 urban libraries, 11 outlying libraries and 1 outreach library.
- Larger libraries offer meeting rooms, conference rooms, children’s storyrooms, and art galleries.
- West Las Vegas, Summerlin and Clark County Libraries have theatres; West Charleston has a lecture hall.